LILLAS FAWCETT PARK & SILVER LAKE, SACKVILLE
I first read about Lillas Fawcett Park in Today’s Parent more than five years ago and I have to agree; it’s one of the best options for family swimming and playing in New Brunswick!
In the summer, the beach is marked by buoys and supervised by lifeguards. The lake water is warm and well-monitored (check on the water quality here). The bouys mark out a swimming area that is only about five feet deep, perfect for family fun!
There are washrooms/change rooms and parking, which is separated from the playground by fencing.
The playground was redone in July 2019, with several awesome natural features installed and a great new swing set.
There’s a mud kitchen, a climbing wall, lots of stumps and steps for exploring, and a secondary climbing structure.
A lovely large tree offers natural shade, while a shelter offer some as well.
Next to the playground beach is a public ramp from which many folks launch their boats; we also saw kayaks. jet skis, and triathletes training for open-water swims. We’re also told you can enjoy trout fishing, frog hunting (I’m told this spot is one of the best around!), and much more along the shores.
We easily spend hours at this fantastic playground and beach, and love to pair the trip with an adventure in the Town of Sackville. To find Lillas Fawcett Park, search for 2 Morice Drive. (It’s at the corner of Main Street and Morice Drive in Middle Sackville. We take the Walker Road edit when coming from Moncton and turn left when we get to Main Street.)
SPENDING THE DAY IN SACKVILLE, NEW BRUNSWICK
If you’re heading into Sackville for a meal or entertainment after, here are a few of our favourite stops:
- Pop into Tidewater Books to support a wonderful independent bookseller with great selection.
- Enjoy a great meal at a local restaurant; we’ve had wonderful service at Joey’s and love a treat from Knuckles Truffles Chocolates.
- We’ve heard so many rave reviews about The Cackling Goose Market, a dedicated gluten-free & organic bakery & café. It’s on our must-visit list soon, as is a return a visit to nearby Trueman’s for some yummy ice cream & treats.
- Don’t forget the awesome Waterfowl Park, a great accessible option for exploration.
- The splash pad & playground at Bill Johnstone Memorial Park is fantastic and wonderfully found right in the middle of the town. Be sure to check for outdoor movies, live music, and more generally happening here throughout the year.