A reminder school is OUT for Anglophone East students this Friday – and December 2 & 9, too! You can find the school district calendar online.
WHAT’S HAPPENING NOV 18-20
The Moncton Multiples Fall & Winter Consignment Sale takes place Saturday at the Moncton Coliseum. Thousands of great items for newborns to tweens, from more than 200 local families! This sale is open to ANYONE to shop & it’s free to enter from 11am until the sale closes at 1pm. (You can pay to enter at 10am; it’s $5 plus fees, via Eventbrite.)
Cineplex’s Community Day is back on Saturday, with free showings of Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, The Lost City and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run and discounted concession treats. Doors open at 9am, tickets are on a first-come, first-served basis — at both Cineplex locations in Moncton & Dieppe!
Sackville’s annual Bordertown Festival is underway, happening November 16 through 25. Lots of interesting workshops and events – and it ties in with the Town’s kick off to the Christmas season this weekend, too! There’s also a Make Something Sunday event at the Owens; we love these neat invitations to test your family’s creativity! This week it’s a GIF; check it out, 2-4pm.
Amiro Dairy Bar is hosting a fun Gingerbread painting & making session on Saturday. Geared for ages 5 to 12, 10am-noon. Register in advance, as spaces are limited.
CHRISTMAS THEMED EVENTS
The Magnetic Hill Community Centre has an incredible 7ft wreath display AND a photographer offering ‘Pay What You Can’ photos this Friday and next. It’s a fundraiser for Youth Impact Jeuness & PAW. You do have to book in advance.
The 69th annual Saint John Santa Claus Parade takes place Saturday, starting at 6pm & Amherst’s Santa Claus Parade is happening Saturday at 6pm. Wondering about more parade? Check out our Guide to Parades, Markets, & More! (If you are thinking of heading to Saint John for their parade, it’s also the weekend of their big Christmas craft sale at TD Station.)
THIS WEEKEND’S LOCAL CHRISTMAS MARKETS
- Affinity Farm’s Christmas in the Cape kicks off on Thursday at 11am – 7pm
- Sackville’s Moonlight Madness begins Friday.
- The Outdoor European Style Christmas Market at Belding Hill Farms’ (near Hampton) kicks off Friday, with dates until December 10. We see several times are already booked, so hurry to get your tickets if you’re interested!
- Moncton Multiples Consignment Sale, 9am – 1pm (free entry begins at 11am)
- Magnetic Hill School’s Christmas Tea & Craft Fair takes place Saturday, 9am – 2pm.
- Northrup Frye School’s annual Mistletoe Market is happening Saturday, 10am – 2pm.
- The Rexton Craft Fair at Bonar Law Memorial School is on Saturday from 9am – 5pm.
- Ukraine Resists Art Sale is happening Saturday at Resurgo Place from 9am – 3pm.
- There’s a Christmas Craft Fair at the Shediac Legion from 10am to 3pm on Saturday.
- Tantramar Regional High School’s Christmas Craft Sale is Saturday, 10am – 3pm.
- On Sunday, it’s Mistletoe Kisses at the Moncton Lions Community Centre, 10am – 2pm.
HOT DRINKS & YUMMY EATS
We see Cafe l’amiral’s eggnog lattes and peppermint hot chocolates are back for the season! We’ve also been waiting for Wright’s Bakery’s winter drinks to appear; they had some delicious options last year. A few more of our go-to local spots for hot chocolates & seasonal lattes include Cafe Archibald‘s Famous Grandma’s Hot Chocolate, Tony’s Bistro & Pâtisserie is so cozy & delicious — the perfect spot to curl up with a cup, and of course The Ice Cream Barn in Riverview when it reopens!
Do you have a favourite local spot for hot chocolate? Let us know so we can add to our list!
Treat your tastebuds with a walk along St. George Street for Halo Donuts, Lost and Found Ice Cream (we tried the chocolate orange & eggnog twisted soft serve last weekend – SO yummy!), and maybe even a Taco in a Bag from Notre Dame de Parkton or something from Dolma. You’re also super close to Co Pain Artisan Bread Company & oodles of great restaurants! If you’re enjoying a riverside stroll in Moncton, pop into the Starving Artist Cafe.
MORE IDEAS FOR FAMILY FUN IN GREATER MONCTON
Great spaces to appeal to a variety of ages & interests are Hop Skip Jump!, SkyZone (Glow Zone fun on Fridays & Saturdays!), & DIY Studio. Older kids might want to try laser tag at Marco’s Clinic, climbing next door at FitRocks Climbing Gym, or maybe test their wits at Room Escape Atlantic or Mystery Moncton Mystere. There’s also the Moncton Sports Dome on Friday nights for laser tag, Just Dance, Xbox & Nintendo gaming.
Have you visited the Riverview Indoor Skatepark & Youth Centre lately? A visit anytime is a great idea!
Another great idea is bowling & we see that glow times are back Fridays & Saturdays at Fairlanes in Moncton! We also love Bowlarama in Dieppe (be prepared for the arcade section!) and The Marvelous Holy Bowly in Riverview.
Don’t forget Resurgo Place, Doiron House, Moncton Public Library, or a visit to Bass Pro to see the 12,000-gallon freshwater aquarium; stop by to see striped bass, Atlantic sturgeon, trout, perch, and more!
Cineplex has theatres in both Dieppe & Moncton; movie time is always a great treat. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is playing at both, while Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile is at Trinity Drive.
Looking to get wet? Why not check out the swim times at the Pat Crossman Aquatic Centre in Riverview, the Moncton YMCA at Vaughan Harvey, and the Dieppe Aquatic Centre. Both the Moncton & Dieppe pools are great with littles; Dieppe has a sloped entry with a pirate ship, while the Vaughan Harvey YMCA has a separate kiddie pool. The YMCA Moncton North has an indoor splash pad & playground; non-members are welcome.
Maybe you want to lace up & hit the rinks — public skating is back!
Here’s where you can enjoy time on skates this weekend (free unless noted otherwise):
- Friday: Dieppe AJL preschoolers with sticks, 9:30-10:30am; Crossman Community Centre Kay Arena 10:15am-11:15am; Riverview parent & tot 1:30-2:30pm; Riverview 12 & under, 4-5:15pm; Memramcook public 1-2:30pm; $2 skating at Hillsborough 8:15-9:15pm
- Saturday: $2 skating at the Moncton Coliseum (parent & tot from 9:30-10:30am & public 3:45-5:15pm); $2 skating at Crossman Community Centre Kay Arena from 2:30-4:30pm; Riverview public 3:45-5:15pm; Dieppe’s AJL 6:15-7:15pm; $2 skating at Hillsborough 2-3pm & 8-9pm
- Sunday: Petitcodiac 1pm-2:30pm ($2/skater, free for ages five & under); Dieppe’s AJL 2:15-3:15pm; $2 skating at Hillsborough 2:15-3:15; $2 skating at the Crossman Community Centre Kay Arena 2:30-4:30pm; Dieppe’s UNIplex 3:30-4:30pm; Riverview public 2:30-4pm; Memramcook public 11:30am-12:25pm; Sackville 2:30-3:30
That’s all for this now. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, wherever your adventures take you! And please, if you’ve made it this far, thank us for all this work by sharing this with your friends & family!