Reading local is fundamental to raising engaged youth who feel a sense of pride and belonging in where they live. And while it can be somewhat easy to encourage reading local when you’re in charge of choosing the books littles are read, it can be trickier to find books that appeal to emerging readers in late elementary and middle school. That’s why we rounded up some of our favourite New Brunswick books for young adults — with hints of magic, the supernatural, mystery, history, and adventure!
The books mentioned in the show:
- Dave Atkinson‘s Wereduck Trilogy
- Jennifer McGrath‘s Chocolate River Rescue & White Cave Escape
- Diane Carmel Léger’s The Lookout Tree & Piau’s Potato Present
- Wendy McLeod MacKnight‘s The Frame Up
- Riel Nason‘s The Town That Drowned
- Eric Wilson’s The St. Andrews Werewolf
Want to know more about them? Listen in! Have a New Brunswick-based book you’d recommend to readers ages 8 to 12? Share it!
The Jenna & Tosh Show is a co-production of Pickle Planet Moncton and The Podcast Hub, and is recorded & aired by Rogers TV New Brunswick. Coming up on the next episode: Moncton’s Boutique Hospice Shoppe.