BACKYARD MOVIE THEME BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS
Finding a summer birthday party idea that’s fresh and fun can be a challenge, especially if you’re trying to keep things outside and socially distanced, but hosting a movie in your backyard on a gigantic screen – well, that won over the 9-year-old crowd in our life!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Confetti & Fizz Events, but we reached out to them for the opportunity to experience and share about their fantastic inflatable movie screen and projector rentals. All opinions and descriptions are our own.
Little Miss Pickle turned nine just as restrictions and tensions were easing over the first wave of the 2020 pandemic. For eight years we’ve hosted a massive backyard bash, inviting her whole class and more, but that wasn’t going to happen this year. We needed something smaller, but something so fun and memorable that it would take away any sting of breaking from tradition. Enter Confetti & Fizz Events!
Confetti & Fizz Events offers amazing birthday (or whatever occasion you’re celebrating – wedding, anniversary, Wednesday at home!) rental packages that appeal to all ages – and the process was smooth and simple.
We booked the Backyard Movie Night package (comparable pricing to renting other local birthday party venues – check Confetti & Fizz Events website for current pricing and promotions), which includes the projector and massive inflatable screen, speaker, set up, and a $10 credit to rent a movie online via Cineplex – meaning we were able to watch a new release, which was very exciting for the kids! We provided a laptop and the movie-themed decorations, and the night was a huge hit!
BRINGING BACKYARD MOVIE NIGHTS TO LIFE
Confetti & Fizz is owned by local mom, Chelsea Wood. She’s been dreaming up this business for awhile and decided to launch with her movie package when folks needed socially distant entertainment options.
“I love the nostalgia aspect of our movie night,” says Chelsea. “It’s like a drive in for your backyard!”
She also loves the reaction from clients, especially the younger ones.
“That look of awe and excitement on the kids’ faces as the screen pops up just melts my heart!”
BACKYARD MOVIE THEME BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS
We loved our backyard movie birthday party. The set-up was simple, the decorations easy (we repurposed a Kissing Booth from our wedding – 10 years ago! – to be a concession stand and added some twinkling lights to the backyard), and the Birthday Girl declared this small gathering the best birthday party yet!
This would be a great activity for a neighbourhood party; you can also connect the projector to a gaming console, making this more than just a movie option!
Some things to consider:
- Pay attention to when sundown is forecasted on the day you want to use the screen. In late June, we had to wait until well after 9pm for it to be dark enough for the projector and screen to work.
- You’ll need outdoor outlets and room for things to be set up; Chelsea will answer your questions and walk you through things in advance to make sure you have the best experience.
- Rent the popcorn machine; I ran out of time to make it happen for this party (and Chelsea didn’t yet have one to rent), but Confetti & Fizz now offers this and I highly recommend it. You might also want to hit up a candy shop for some concession treats, too!
- Plan for bugs; we set up a screened gazebo that was perfect for keeping the little biters away but didn’t impact our viewing.
- You will be asked to deflate the projection screen and store it away in the bin provided; it doesn’t take long and is pretty much the same as taking down a small bouncy castle.
Honestly, booking with Chelsea was such a simple, seamless process – you’ll be well looked after! She’ll come to you, set everything up, and explain it all. She’ll be accessible during your rental if you have any issues. And then she’ll return to pick everything up the next day. Easy peasy!
You can find Confetti & Fizz Events on Facebook, Instagram, and on their website. The backyard movie rental is just the start; Chelsea has big ideas for helping you plan awesome parties and we can’t wait to see what future rentals she offers, too! Think slumber parties in tents, couples glamping bell tents, white bouncy castle at your wedding, and so much more. Check out her social and her website for photos and updates – and tell her Pickle Planet sent you!